Picking the right fabrics for arts and crafts can be difficult. Based in the Yorkshire Dales, Abbotstone House loves helping people find the right materials for any project, including quilting, dressmaking, crafts and soft furnishings.
Our products include Liberty fabrics which are fantastic for a wide range of different applications. Abbotstone House also has a massive range of fabrics to explore, including Yorkshire 100% wool tweeds.
Here are just seven tips for finding the right fabric for your project:
- Obviously, the first step is to consider what the fabric will be used for. Do you need it for dress-making, quilting, or embroidery? The success of any sewing project depends on the right materials. For dressmaking and tailoring, you want breathable fabrics that are easy to wash and comfortable to wear. 100% Lasenby Cotton is brilliant for quilting, patchwork and crafts, but is also wonderful for dressmaking, skirts, tops, and much more.
- For upholstery, look for durable fabrics which have quality bases of linen, velvet and cotton.
- If you have a smaller sewing project, opt for versatile fabrics that are easy to handle. For instance, cotton is particularly easy to work with.
- Make sure the colours and patterns complement your interior design scheme. If you’re creating cushion covers, quilts or upholstery, it’s best to visualise the final results beforehand.
- Assess how much length you’ll need, so you don’t end up paying more than you need.
- Consider the weight of the fabric, the texture and the way it falls.
- Research different fabrics online. Fortunately, there’s a wealth of information and tips on picking fabrics to be found on the web. Why not check out our sewing patterns to get started?
For more tips on choosing fabrics, don’t hesitate to contact our team for more information.